A few minutes of prior preparation can often make a world of difference in the successful outcome of an emergency situation. Here is some advice on how to save time in an emergency.
- Keep your veterinarian’s number posted in a location where all family members are aware of it. Keeping this number programmed in your cell phone is a good idea as well.
- Keep the number for poison control posted in a similar fashion. (Pet Poison Hotline can be reached at 800-213-6680. A $39 fee applies.)
- Know the location and phone number of the nearest 24 hour emergency facility.
- Keep your pet’s identification tags on her at all times.
- Consider investing in a pet first aid kit, a useful item when dealing with minor mishaps at home.
- Have a prepared and updated list of the names of all medications that your pet receives regularly. This list should include over the counter medications such as aspirin and supplements, including doses and time intervals. Bring this list with you when you visit our emergency or referral hospital.