PINTS FOR PETS
With the many advancements in veterinary medicine, blood and blood products have become a mainstay in the treatment of many critical conditions, including trauma, toxicities, cancer, and multiple inflammatory and immunmediated diseases. In response to this need, Pieper Memorial strives to maintain a ready supply of blood products for our patients who require an emergency transfusion day or night. In order to support the needs of our referral veterinarians, we are also pleased to offer your patients canine and feline blood products and/or transfusions at our facility.
Canine Blood Products
- Packed Red Cells DEA 4 positive (universal donor blood)
- Fresh Frozen Plasma DEA 4 positive ( universal donor plasma)
- Whole Blood DEA 1.1 positive and DEA 1.1 negative is supplied by our in house donor program. Our donor dogs undergo a strict application process which includes a physical exam, medical history, and laboratory screening including general internal organ function , heartworm, Lyme, Erlichia Canis, Anaplasma Equi, and Babesia. Our donors are required to use heartworm, flea and tick prevention year around to maintain constant protection from internal and external parasites which carry many infectious diseases.
Feline Blood Products
- Packed Red Cells Type A
- Fresh Frozen Plasma Type A
- Whole Blood Type A is supplied by our in house donor program. Our donor cats are housed indoors and undergo a strict application and screening process which includes physical exam, medical history, and lab screening including Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus, Heartworm, Mycoplasma Felis, and Bartonella .
Our blood donor program is graciously assisted by
The Pieper Memorial ‘s Pints for Pets Blood product program is one of many services proudly offered to help our pets lead long, healthy and happy lives!